What to Look for When Comparing Antivirus Software
The need for good antivirus software is never more apparent than when your computer screen goes blank and you are working under a deadline. To avoid infection, it is important to choose the right software package as soon as, if not before, you sit down to your computer.
How to Compare Antivirus Software
Antivirus software cannot be selected entirely on the basis of price or the pretty packaging; a consumer needs to look deeper to assess its value. When choosing a package, try using these features for comparison:
- Does it work – First and foremost, antivirus software packages need to effective. One way to find out which ones perform the best is to look at the results of reviews done by professional security organizations and software testers.
- Extent of coverage – The best software should cover all the traditional threats – viruses, Trojans, worms and spyware – and the more sophisticated malware – phishing scams, viruses transmitted via email, and rootkits.
- Is it easy to get up and running – Antivirus software should be quick and easy to install and start up. The best security software should require little maintenance and do what you want, even run automatically if that is what you need it to do.
- Bells and whistles – It is not the bells and whistles that mean your software package is the right one, it is the added features than can improve performance and augment usability.
- Up-to-date updates – When purchasing a security solution, it isn’t just the initial program being purchased, it is also the software updates. New viruses are being found all the time and good software package will provide regular, automatic updates.
- Customer support – All good software, not just antivirus packages, offers product support via various lines of communications. A user should be able to access information via the Internet, email, telephone, FAQs and other vehicles of communication.